Tuesday, May 1, 2012

“Are you frickin’ nuts?!” I barked.


(Excerpt of Sororate Chapter One)



2nd August 2226



            We strolled hand-in-hand in a comfortable silence as we stared out at the picturesque views.  Declan and I were enjoying the walk and I must admit, I was starting to really like this part of our holiday in China.  We were into the second day of our hike along the Great Wall and right now, our trek took us through a mountainous part of the country. 

            The Wall curved around before it sloped downwards and then upwards again as it followed the peaks.  The sky was blue, the air was clean and the breeze was cool, which kept us from overheating.  However, when my husband first told me that we would be hiking for three days, I must admit I wasn’t what you might call, ‘excited’ by the idea.

            “Are you frickin’ nuts?!” I barked.

            “Relax B.”  He customarily rolled his eyes. “We won’t be camping but we’ll be hiking. Each night we’ll have a hotel booked so you can still get your creature comforts of hot showers and a soft mattress to sleep on.”

            “But hiking all day, for three days straight?” I complained.

            “Look, we won’t even be walking the whole thing! It’s less than half that we’ll be doing as they’re still restoring it.”

            “I don’t care if it’s only a quarter of the way!  This is three days that we’ll be hiking the thing?!” I said indignantly.

            “B, sometimes we run up to 300 km’s in one night on a hunt.”  He gave a funny look.

            “Yeah, but that’s one or two nights a month and I have the bloodlust fuelling me along.” I frowned.

            We were of course talking about the fact that my husband and I were Werewolves.

            Declan was a 163 year old European Werewolf with the appearance of a man in his mid-thirties in human form.  My blue eyed and blonde haired husband was finally growing out his crew cut which he had for 140 years so now his scruffy hair sat just below his ears.   However when he was in European Werewolf form, he looked completely different.  

            His height of 190 cm’s almost doubled as his muscular build practically tripled in width.  His hands and feet turned into dangerous claws.  He was hairless but his head changed into more of a wolf’s as he had a short snout over jaws of razor sharp teeth.  His eyes glowed green with his round pupils turning into thin, black slits.  As a European Werewolf, he would run on all-fours in speeds up to 300 km/h and he was so strong he could lift up a car on each arm. 

            Me on the other hand, I was a 160 year old Lokoti Werewolf with the human appearance of a half Native Alaskan in my late twenties.  I had dark blue eyes and recently, I had my hair restyled.  Now I have a fringe and my former long, black hair was cut just past my shoulders.

            Lokoti Werewolves have a more humanoid appearance in our supernatural form.  Although my 170 cm height remained the same, my body bulked up like a weightlifter’s with extra muscle. My eyes glowed bright turquoise as my black pupils vanished.  My teeth became elongated and sharp and the nails on my hands and feet grew longer, like claws.  Lokoti Werewolves can run up to speeds of 200 km/h in our upright form, but because I was also a Circulator I could move in the speed of light.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: